What You Need to Know about West Nile Virus
- West Nile virus (WNV) is most commonly transmitted to humans by mosquitoes.
- You can reduce your risk of being infected with WNV by using insect repellent and wearing protective clothing to prevent mosquito bites.
- There are no medications to treat or vaccines to prevent WNV infection.
- Fortunately, most people infected with WNV will have no symptoms.
- About 1 in 5 people who are infected will develop a fever with other symptoms.
- Less than 1% of infected people develop a serious, sometimes fatal, neurologic illness.
Confirmed Cases of West Nile Virus in Galveston County
*So far in 2018
Please visit this page for the latest Galveston County morbidity report.