In order to promote and comply with Galveston County’s Order of Essential Services and Activities and public health concerns with COVID-19, the Galveston County Health District is closed to the public through April 30.
- Outdoor burn registrations and burn registration “renewals” can be completed and submitted at https://www.gchd.org/home/showdocument?id=2436
Our Air Pollution Services division is a federally funded local air pollution agency under contract with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The division provides the following services:
- Comprehensive inspections of major industrial facilities to assure compliance with state and federal rules.
- Site reviews of industrial facilities to assure compliance with with federal rules.
- Permit reviews of industrial facilities to review proposed TCEQ permit language and provide comment on enforceability and consistency of permits.
- Stage II vapor recovery inspections of gasoline dispensing facilities to assure compliance with state and federal rules.
- Operation of ambient air quality and special purpose air monitoring stations.
- Investigate and answer citizen complaints regarding air pollution concerns, including:
- Smoke nuisance
- Suspected industrial overspray impacts on property
- Registration and documentation of outdoor burning in unincorporated areas of the county.
- Maintain records of industrial releases due to upsets or maintenance activities.
- Non-contracted comprehensive compliance inspections of industrial facilities to assure compliance with state and federal rules.
- Mobile Air Monitoring - A screening tool to help determine community exposure to toxic compounds and identification of areas to investigate for suspected releases. Located strategically in areas not otherwise monitored.
- Air Tox - Determine community exposure to toxic organic compounds and potential for long-term health effects, through Community Air Toxics Monitoring Network.
- Lead Inspections - Perform inspections at homes of children with elevated blood lead levels to determine a possible sorce.
- Phase II Stormwater Program - (pending) Awaiting outcome of legal action between state and effected jurisdictions. When resolved, Air and Water Pollution Services will provide a centralized Stormwater Services Program. Membership is open to all Galveston County affected jurisdictions wishing to combine efforts in order to meet federal mandates in the most fiscally responsible and environmentally sound manner possible.
- Rivers, Lakes, Bays & Bayous Trash Bash
- Health Fairs
- Science Fairs
- Civic Presentations