On October 21, 2013, the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) adopted a rule amendment that waives the fees charged for a certified copy of a birth record for an individual who requires a certified copy in order to obtain an Election Identification Certificate (EIC) issued by the Department of Public Safety (DPS). This does not change the requirements that apply to obtaining a certified birth record; it only waives the fee previously charged for such records. Any fees for birth records that are required by statute still apply.
- To obtain a birth certificate for Election Identification purposes, visit the Birth Certificate for Election Identification page.
- To obtain an EIC birth certificate, completely and accurately fill out an EIC Application for Election Identification (PDF) and submit it in person along with valid identification to your local registrar's office.
- Only the person seeking an EIC can obtain their own birth certificate. No family member or otherwise qualified applicants will be able to obtain a birth certificate subject to the waiver of fees on behalf of other persons.
- Applicable fee total: $3.00
- $2.00 – Statutory fee in accordance to Texas Health & State Code 191.0045 & 191.022
- $1.00 Preservation fee
Questions? (409) 938-7221, (409) 765-2595 or firstname.lastname@example.org