The Animal Services Advisory Committee (ASAC) reviews and recommends changes to ARC operations, policy, regulations and budget to the Galveston County United Board of Health. The board can act on the recommendations or return the matter back to the committee for further review.
The Advisory Committee reports to the Chief Executive Officer of the Galveston County Health District or the CEO’s designee. The Advisory Committee consists of a minimum of 11 and not more than 18 members as follows:
- One member for each city who is party to the Animal Services Interlocal Agreement
- One Galveston County Official
- One member for the County who is not required to be, but may be, a County Official
- One member for the UBOH who is not required to be, but may be, a member of the UBOH or an employee of GCHD
- Two members from animal welfare groups that are non-profit organizations as follows: a total of two representatives with each of the two being from a different non-profit animal welfare group; One veterinarian licensed by the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners in accordance with the Veterinary Licensing Act to practice veterinary medicine in the State of Texas whose license is in an active status, whose license is not a provisional license, whose license is not a special license, and who practices veterinary medicine in the County of Galveston, Texas.
- One (1) member whose duties include the daily operations of a shelter.