We want to become the healthiest county in Texas! Are you ready for the challenge?
How to Apply
- If you plan on electronically signing the application, you will need Adobe Acrobat. If you do not have the program, we suggest printing the application to sign it, scanning it and emailing it to email@example.com.
- If you are using a smartphone or tablet, an app available at this link will allow you electronically fill out, sign and submit an application.
We Can Offer You
- Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, rich paid time off plans, FREE life insurance, FREE long-term disability, affordable medical insurance, FREE parking and much, much more!
- Team-oriented environment.
Contact HR at (409) 938-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Galveston County Health District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, LGBTQ, genetic information or national origin. All applicants must pass Criminal Background check and drug screening.
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:Hourly Rate: $13.91
- Posted Date:05/11/2020 11:30 AM
Join our WIC Department! Are you ready for the challenge?
Galveston County Health District is seeking a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor!
The right candidate will be responsible for counseling pregnant and breastfeeding women one-to-one.
We can offer you:
• Excellent Benefits; including an Amazing retirement package, Paid Time Off plans, FREE Life Insurance, FREE Long Term Disability, Affordable Medical insurance, FREE Parking and much, much more!
• Team Oriented Environment
• Hourly Rate: $13.91
THIS IS A FULL TIME, TEMPORARY POSITION THAT ENDS July 31, 2020
We want you to join our team of professionals and begin a long term career with us! If you meet the criteria listed below, please apply.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent
- Receiving current or previous WIC services and successfully breastfeeding at least one child (present or previously)
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Excellent presentation skills to teach breastfeeding classes and/or training background and/or experience and understanding of adult learning principles
- Must be receiving or have received WIC services, successfully breastfed at least one baby, (does not have to be currently nursing) and possess high enthusiasm about breastfeeding
- Ability to work outside of regular clinic hours and outside of the WIC clinic
- Ability for spur of the moment transportation without relying on organization vehicles.
- Must possess or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Texas for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
- Department of Motor Vehicle check may be required, if applicable
- Customer Service Oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Computer Skills MS Office
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours if necessary
- Must be in compliance with GCHD Immunizations policy
- Must be in compliance with ICS training requirements
- Must pass criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening
An equivalent combination of education and work experience which appropriately demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above described essential functions will be considered when hiring for this role.
- Counsels pregnant and breastfeeding mothers on one-to-one basis at WIC sites, in the hospital or over the phone enabling new mothers to avoid common breastfeeding problems and follows up
- Provides information promoting breastfeeding, which addresses specific concerns of expectant and breastfeeding mothers and corrects misinformation
- Weigh and measure infant/child as deemed necessary for complete breastfeeding assessment
- Identifies breastfeeding experiences that are not the norm and makes an immediate, appropriate referral
- Assists in training of new Peer Counselors
- Trains staff in pump issuance, retrieval, and maintenance
- Assesses need for breast pumps and breastfeeding aids and issues in accordance with State and Local agency policies and procedures
- Maintains and submits reports of breast pumps, breastfeeding aids counseling time and contacts
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
To apply please visit our website http://www.gchd.org/about-us/career-opportunities and fill out our online application. Applications can be submitted by fax to (409) 938-2284, emailed to email@example.com or in person at 9850-A, Suite A-111, Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.
No Phone Calls Please
Our Mission: Protecting and Promoting the Optimal Health and Well-Being of Galveston County
Public Health Services · Coastal Health & Wellness · Emergency Medical Services · Animal Resource Center
The Galveston County Health District (GCHD) is the local public health agency for Galveston County, Texas.
GCHD provides services and programs that protect the everyday health and well-being of Galveston County.
P.O. Box 939 La Marque, Texas 77568 • (409) 938-7221www.gchd.org