We want to become the healthiest county in Texas! Are you ready for the challenge?
How to Apply
- If you plan on electronically signing the application, you will need Adobe Acrobat. If you do not have the program, we suggest printing the application to sign it, scanning it and emailing it to email@example.com.
- If you are using a smartphone or tablet, an app available at this link will allow you electronically fill out, sign and submit an application.
We Can Offer You
- Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, rich paid time off plans, FREE life insurance, FREE long-term disability, affordable medical insurance, FREE parking and much, much more!
- Team-oriented environment.
Contact HR at (409) 938-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Galveston County Health District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, LGBTQ, genetic information or national origin. All applicants must pass Criminal Background check and drug screening.
HIV Prevention Counselor
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:Hourly Rate: $19.02-$19.59
- Posted Date:02/05/2019 10:23 AM
Would you LOVE to be part of our HIV/STD Team? Are you ready for the challenge?
Galveston County Health District is seeking an HIV Prevention Counselor!
This position is responsible for safeguarding the citizens of Galveston, Brazoria and Chambers from sexually transmitted diseases by providing prevention counseling, condom distribution and testing to at-risk populations. You'll be part of a collaborative team, working with a diverse population, including persons of color, persons who exchange sex, injection and non-injection drug users, youth-at-risk, women at-risk, man engaging in same gender sex, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgenders and other diverse populations.
**THIS IS A FULL TIME, GRANT FUNDED POSITION **
We can offer you:
• Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, affordable Medical Insurance, rich Paid Time Off plans, Free Life Insurance, FREE Long Term Disability, FREE parking and much, much more!
• Team-oriented environment
• Hourly Rate: $19.02-$19.59
We want you to join our team of professionals and begin a long term career with us! If you meet the criteria listed below, please apply.
- Bachelor or Associate degree from an accredited college or university –or- 3 years’ job - related experience may be substituted for required education
- 1+ years of experience regarding HIV/AIDS, required
- 2+ years of experience in STD related field, preferred
- Phlebotomy certification or the ability to acquire Phlebotomy certification within six (6) weeks of employment
- Successful completion of Foundations of HIV Counseling and Testing course – within six (6) months from date of employment
- Knowledge of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS infection
- Must be able to communicate at different levels with infected individuals and maintain confidential information
- Bilingual in Spanish helpful
- Ability for spur of the moment transportation without relying on organization vehicles
- Must have a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Texas and dependable transportation
- Department of Motor Vehicle check may be required, if applicable.
- Customer Service Oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Computer Skills MS Office
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours if necessary
- Must be in compliance with GCHD Immunizations policy
- Must be in compliance with ICS training requirements
- Must pass criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening
An equivalent combination of education and work experience which appropriately demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above described essential functions will be considered when hiring for this role.
- Implements education initiatives and condom distribution in targeted areas
- Seeks venues and sites for providing counseling and testing to at-risk populations
- Ensure client confidentiality
- Maintains client’s records according to established procedures by DSHS
- Obtains blood samples for testing according to protocol
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
To apply please visit http://www.gchd.org/about-us/career-opportunities and fill out our online application. Applications can be submitted by fax to (409) 938-2284, emailed to email@example.com or in person at 9850-A, Suite A-111, Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.
No Phone Calls Please
Our Mission: Protecting and Promoting the Optimal Health and Well-Being of Galveston County
Public Health Services · Coastal Health & Wellness · Emergency Medical Services · Animal Resource Center
The Galveston County Health District (GCHD) is the local public health agency for Galveston County, Texas.
GCHD provides services and programs that protect the everyday health and well-being of Galveston County.
P.O. Box 939 La Marque, Texas 77568 • (409) 938-7221