We want to become the healthiest county in Texas! Are you ready for the challenge?
How to Apply
- If you plan on electronically signing the application, you will need Adobe Acrobat. If you do not have the program, we suggest printing the application to sign it, scanning it and emailing it to email@example.com.
- If you are using a smartphone or tablet, an app available at this link will allow you electronically fill out, sign and submit an application.
We Can Offer You
- Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, rich paid time off plans, FREE life insurance, FREE long-term disability, affordable medical insurance, FREE parking and much, much more!
- Team-oriented environment.
Contact HR at (409) 938-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Galveston County Health District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, LGBTQ, genetic information or national origin. All applicants must pass Criminal Background check and drug screening.
Animal Care Technician (part-time)
- Type:Part Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:Hourly Rate: $12.72-$13.10
- Posted Date:04/08/2019 4:32 PM
Do you LOVE animals? Would you LOVE to help maintain the environment of adoptable animals? Are you ready for the challenge?
Galveston County Health District is seeking a new Animal Care Technician!
The right candidate will be responsible for performing duties for the Health District in animal care and maintenance in accordance with the most recent version of the Animal Services Interlocal Agreement.
We can offer you:
• Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, FREE parking and much, much more!
• Team-oriented environment
• Hourly Rate: $12.72-$13.10
We want you to join our team of professionals and begin a long term career with us! If you meet the criteria listed below, please apply.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent
- Experience in animal control or working with animals is helpful, but not required
- Skill in handling large and aggressive animals; using various animal care and control equipment including catch poles, leashes, muzzles, traps etc. as well as administering injections to dogs, cats and wild animal is strongly preferred
- Previous experience working in an animal shelter preferred
- Basic animal handling skills/comfort level
- Advanced animal training and handling preferred
- Veterinary medicine background preferred
- Animal behavior background preferred
- Knowledge of proper cleaning and contamination control
- Current euthanasia certification preferred (must be certified within 6 months of hire date)
- Current certification as a Basic Animal Control Officer preferred
- Ability for spur of the moment transportation without relying on organization vehicles.
- Must possess or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Texas for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
- Department of Motor Vehicle check may be required, if applicable
- Customer Service Oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Computer Skills MS Office
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours if necessary
- Must be in compliance with GCHD Immunizations policy
- Must be in compliance with ICS training requirements
- Must pass criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening
An equivalent combination of education and work experience which appropriately demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above described essential functions will be considered when hiring for this role.
- Cleans and maintains the animals and resource center to provide a clean and safe environment for the animals and citizens which includes the feeding, handling and provision of custodial care
- Performs euthanasia according to policy and procedure
- Documents drug usage according to policy and procedure
- Tracks shelter supply inventory and notifies Manager of supplies needed
- Empties freezer as needed and delivers contents to landfill, when necessary
- Assists with cremation services and maintenance services, when necessary
- Implanting microchips properly and safely to both ARC animals and owned animals from citizens
- Maintains shelter property by performing tasks such as picking up trash, putting up cages and supplies, etc.
- Receives animals turned in by the public and Animal Control Officers and completes all required paperwork
- Accurately completes and files all required paperwork in accordance with procedures and in a timely manner
- Accurately completes data entry into the animal services data base management system
- Informs citizens of Animal Regulations and resource center policies and procedures
- Ensures citizen safety while in the Animal Resource Center
- Cross-trains with administrative staff
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
To apply please visit http://www.gchd.org/about-us/career-opportunities and fill out our online application. Applications can be submitted by fax to (409) 938-2284, emailed to email@example.com or in person at 9850-A, Suite A-111, Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.
No Phone Calls Please
Our Mission: Protecting and Promoting the Optimal Health and Well-Being of Galveston County
Public Health Services · Coastal Health & Wellness · Emergency Medical Services · Animal Resource Center
The Galveston County Health District (GCHD) is the local public health agency for Galveston County, Texas.
GCHD provides services and programs that protect the everyday health and well-being of Galveston County.
P.O. Box 939 La Marque, Texas 77568 • (409) 938-7221