Oysters caused sickness
From Staff Reports
Read the press release
The Galveston Daily News
March 18, 2004
La Marque - Contaminated
raw oysters sickened dozens of conventioneers in Galveston
last month, the county health district announced Wednesday.
Norovirus was detected in stool specimens from
two cases. This virus has been implicated in numerous other
food-related outbreaks, often from raw or undercooked seafood.
“In many cases we are unable to determine
the cause of an outbreak, but in this case we were able to
do so due to rapid reporting and investigating,” said
Chuck Chambers, a health district epidemiologist.
“Most people will recover from a Norovirus
infection within a few days but may experience symptoms which
can be severe. Good hygiene, especially hand washing, is important
in preventing the spread of this type of illness.”
The oysters were served at a catered meal at
the Lone Star Flight Museum on Feb. 27. Most of the 47 people
who fell ill at the National Trooper Coalition convention
had eaten the oysters.
Chambers said the investigation showed the
caterers handled the oysters properly. The oysters came from
a part of Galveston Bay subsequently closed to harvesting
by state health authorities.
The health district declined to identify
the caterers but said they were based outside Galveston County.
For More Information Contact:
Public Information Officer
Galveston County Health District