The County Indigent Health Care Program (CIHCP) is mandated by the Indigent Health Care and Treatment Act of 1985. The program ensures that needy Galveston county residents, who do not qualify for other state or federal health care assistance programs, receive health care. The Galveston County Commissioners' Court delegated CIHCP eligibility screening to the Galveston County Health District. If you are a Galveston county resident who is determined to be at the 100% poverty level or less you may be eligible for this program.
CIHCP covers the cost of medically necessary services, such as hospital or specialist care that requires a referral. This program does not pay for primary care, which is funded and available through Coastal Health & Wellness. If you are eligible for CIHCP, you must register as a Coastal Health & Wellness patient to have one our providers refer you to a specialist for treatment.
How to Access Our Services
Where Are We Located?
- 9850-C Suite 101 Emmett F. Lowry Expy, Texas City, TX 77591
- Print out the application or pick up an application at the CIHCP office
- In order for your case to be processed in a timely manner, we ask that you follow these guidelines:
- Read the enclosed instructions carefully
- Review the document titled “Required Documentation Checklist”
- Gather the documentation listed on the Discounted Services Application Requirements
- Attach copies of the documents required
- Deliver your complete applications to the CIHCP office or send them via mail to the following address:
P.O. Box 939
La Marque, TX 77568
How Can You Contact Us?
- Call us at (409) 949-3439 Please leave a message with your name, phone number, and a brief message. Staff will return your phone call in a timely manner.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Status of Your Application?
- It can take up to 2 weeks for an application to be reviewed. It may take longer if we need additional information from you.
- If you are approved we will set up an appointment to complete the process and issue you a benefits card. Appointments are set in the afternoon Monday – Friday between 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- If you are denied you will be mailed a denial letter.
- If you have not heard from us after 2 weeks, please contact us
What is the Status of Your Referral?
- Once your Provider has made a referral it can take several business days for the referral to be made.
- If you have not heard from a Specialist after 2 weeks, please contact us and we will give you the phone number and information of the Specialist.