Adopting a pet is a lifelong commitment, but if you think you’re ready to add a new pet to your family, the Animal Resource Center has great animals looking for homes!
Steps to Adopt a Cat or Dog
- View adoptable animals at www.petharbor.com
- Come to the resource center
- Spend time getting to know some of our wonderful adoptable animals
- Pick out your favorite
- Meet with an adoption counselor make sure the pet fits your lifestyle and preference
- Sign an adoption contract
- An appointment for spay/neuter surgery will be scheduled (If the animal is not healthy or too young for the surgery, the new owner will be asked to sign a sterilization agreement)
- Arrange to have the pet picked up post surgery at Animal Alliance of Galveston County
- Register and license your pet in accordance with GCHD policy
- Pay all applicable fees
- Provide a safe, happy home
What to Bring
- Photo ID
- Proof of home ownership or landlord contact information
- Proof that any pets at home have a current rabies vaccination
Our $85.00 adoption fee per animal includes:
- Spay or Neuter
- Rabies vaccination
Animals that enter the facility already altered are available for an adoption fee of $42.50.
The animal resource center accepts cash, checks, and all major credit cards.
Important Things to Know
We will not adopt out aggressive animals. The health or temperament of the adopted animal cannot be guaranteed.
Texas law requires that all pets adopted from a shelter SHALL be spayed/neutered, rabies vaccinated and microchipped or tattoed. Animals that cannot be spayed or neutered at the time of the adoption due to age or compromised health will have to be spayed or neutered at a later date. The owner will be required to sign a sterilization agreement and will be legally responsible for completing this state mandate.