We want to become the healthiest county in Texas! Are you ready for the challenge?
How to Apply
- If you plan on electronically signing the application, you will need Adobe Acrobat. If you do not have the program, we suggest printing the application to sign it, scanning it and emailing it to email@example.com.
- If you are using a smartphone or tablet, an app available at this link will allow you electronically fill out, sign and submit an application.
We Can Offer You
- Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, rich paid time off plans, FREE life insurance, FREE long-term disability, FREE medical insurance, FREE parking and much, much more!
- Team-oriented environment.
Contact HR at (409) 938-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Galveston County Health District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, LGBTQ, genetic information or national origin. All applicants must pass Criminal Background check and drug screening.
Director of Communications
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$70,000-75,000/year
- Posted Date:01/23/2018 3:32 PM
Do you LOVE communications and want to offer important public health information to people in Galveston County? Are you ready for the challenge?
Galveston County Health District is seeking a new Director of Communications!
The right candidate will be responsible for providing leadership in the development and implementation of strategies and practices for communicating easy-to-understand information about public health emergencies or threats and District initiatives to various audiences. The DOC serves as the District’s media and public spokesperson in routine and crisis communication situations.
We can offer you:
- Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, affordable medical insurance, rich paid time off plans, FREE life insurance, FREE long term disability, FREE parking and much, much more!
- Team-oriented environment
- Salary: $70,000-75,000
We want you to join our team of professionals and begin a long term career with us! If you meet the criteria listed below, please apply.
- Bachelor degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing or a related field
- 1+ years of experience as public information officer or related role preferred
- 3+ years of work experience in media with emphasis in writing/reporting
- 1+ years of experience in government or public health setting; and/or experience in planning, development, preparation, and dissemination of public information
- Knowledge of public health laws and public health preparedness and response procedures
- May be required to travel on short notice
- Ability for spur of the moment transportation without relying on organization vehicles
- Customer Service Oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Computer Skills MS Office and other publishing programs
- Experience working with various social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Must be able to communicate pertinent Health District information to both external and internal parties in a clear and concise manner and in a format that is appropriate to the reader required
- Experience in giving presentations to both internal and external groups required
- Experience in a governmental setting, preferred
- Must have good interpersonal skills with media and public
- Must have experience in drafting newsletters and putting together information for public campaigns
- Must be accessible 24/7 for media inquires
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours if necessary
- Must be in compliance with GCHD Immunizations policy
- Must be in compliance with ICS training requirements
- Must pass Criminal Background check and drug screening
- Prepares health/risk information for the public, media and key partners during public health emergencies or threats by coordinating well-researched, accurate and consistent information from official sources, including the Local Health Authority (LHA)
- Prepares information tailored to specific audiences and disseminates the information using the most effective channels of communication.
- Conducts needs assessments to evaluate the emergency communication needs of partners in the local emergency response system
- Assists in the development and implementation of GCHD’s public health preparedness and response plan
- Coordinates with public health preparedness to develop and maintain updated public information so they can be distributed in a timely manner when needed
- Develops a draft plan for preparing and effectively disseminating public information to key stakeholders and the general public as applicable to the event
- Serves as the District’s media and public spokesperson on behalf of the LHA, CEO, CHW Executive Director
- Ethically accountable for conveying accurate and appropriate information to the media and general public in accordance with federal, state, and local laws; rules, policies and procedures adopted by the United Board of Health, the Governing Board, and its executive officers
- Arranges media interviews of appropriate staff
- Acts as social media and website administrator and trains appropriate staff on use of the platforms in accordance with the District’s communications policy
To apply please fill out our online application. Applications can be submitted by fax to (409) 938-2284, emailed to email@example.com or in person at 9850-A, Suite A-111, Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.
No Phone Calls Please
Our Mission: Protecting and Promoting the Optimal Health and Well-Being of Galveston County