We want to become the healthiest county in Texas! Are you ready for the challenge?
How to Apply
- If you plan on electronically signing the application, you will need Adobe Acrobat. If you do not have the program, we suggest printing the application to sign it, scanning it and emailing it to email@example.com.
- If you are using a smartphone or tablet, an app available at this link will allow you electronically fill out, sign and submit an application.
We Can Offer You
- Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, rich paid time off plans, FREE life insurance, FREE long-term disability, FREE medical insurance, FREE parking and much, much more!
- Team-oriented environment.
Contact HR at (409) 938-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Galveston County Health District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, LGBTQ, genetic information or national origin. All applicants must pass Criminal Background check and drug screening.
Animal Control Officer
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$15.38/hour
- Posted Date:11/21/2017 10:01 AM
Do you LOVE animals? Would you LOVE to help rescue animals? Are you ready for the challenge?
Galveston County Health District is seeking a new Animal Control Officer!
The right candidate will be responsible for patrols, gets dispatched to citizen calls, captures, confines, and euthanizes stray, diseased and dangerous dogs and cats.
We can offer you:
- Excellent benefits; including an amazing retirement package, rich Paid Time Off plans, Free Life Insurance, FREE Long Term Disability, FREE Medical insurance, FREE parking and much, much more!
- Team-oriented environment
- Hourly Rate: $15.38
We want you to join our team of professionals and begin a long term career with us! If you meet the criteria listed below, please apply.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent
- Must successfully complete Basic Animal Control Officer Certification within one year of employment - Current certification as a Basic Animal Control Officer preferred
- 1 year+ work experience in a government animal shelter providing animal control services and/or 1 year full-time work with foster, rescue, and/or animal oriented volunteer groups preferred
- Experience in handling potentially aggressive animals; using various animal care and control equipment including catch poles, leashes, muzzles, traps etc. as well as administering injections to dogs, cats and wild animal is required
- Knowledge of county geography and street locations and ordinances and statues related to the control of dogs and cats preferred
- Current euthanasia certification preferred (must be certified within 6 months of hire date)
- Knowledge of safe driving skills is required
- Ability for spur of the moment transportation without relying on organization vehicles
- Customer Service Oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Computer Skills MS Office
- Must be available for flexible schedule
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours if necessary
- Must be in compliance with GCHD Immunizations policy
- Must be in compliance with ICS training requirements
- Must pass Criminal Background check and drug screening
- Enforces ordinances and statutes related to the control of dogs and cats by patrolling assigned areas and picking up dogs and cats which are in violation of state and/or county codes
- Captures and impounds diseased, injured, stray or trapped dogs and cats
- May respond to calls that involves non-domestic animals and/or wildlife as approved by the animal services manager
- Responds to and investigates complaints from the public regarding diseased, injured, stray and abused dogs and cats
- Investigates cases of cruelty to dogs and cats, abandonment, and barking dogs, etc.
- Ensures that confinement of such dogs and cats is according to Health District policy and procedure
- Investigates, quarantines, and follows up on animal bites
- Documents animal control incidents, bite investigations, violations, citations, etc. Into Animal Services software system
- Will be required to input data into assigned laptop while in the field
- Appears in court to respond to court requests for contested citations
- Prepares and maintains files (including records and reports) regarding impounded dogs and cats, animals bites, quarantines, investigations, citations, vehicle logs and daily statistics
- Operates and maintains a county animal control vehicle according to policy
- Will euthanize vicious, diseased, and/or unclaimed animals dogs and cats according to policy and procedure
- Must maintain all necessary CE to retain the ACO certification
To apply please fill out our online application. Applications can be submitted by fax to (409) 938-2284, emailed to email@example.com or in person at 9850-A, Suite A-111, Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.
No Phone Calls Please
Our Mission: Protecting and Promoting the Optimal Health and Well-Being of Galveston County